Saturday, August 6, 2011

Facebook For Couples


I spend a lot of my time online and networking, whether it is on the laptop or my iPhone. My job is working is bloggers, businesses, and freelance writing, so all of my work has to do with the beautiful world wide web. Most of the time, I'm also constantly promoting people on Facebook and Twitter. My husband owns a moving company. While he does some Internet Marketing (he should be doing more) he spends most of his time working, rather than being on the computer. He doesn't even own his own computer (gasp!!) In the past couple of months though, he has just started taking up Facebook.

This has been both good and bad. On my personal Facebook, I use it to update family and friends on my kids and stay in touch with extended family. A lot of close blogging friends and contacts also stay in contact with me on my personal Facebook, versus just calling them on the phone. What my husband doesn't understand is pretty much the need for having certain people on my Facebook.

Likewise, I feel like my husband just adds anyone he can on Facebook, people he doesn't even know, and then shares pictures of our kids on his Facebook. We've even had arguments over Facebook, isn't that silly :)

We've been able to talk through most of our problems, but that had me thinking about what other couples do with online networking tools.


My question is, how do you deal with Facebook or Twitter and Your Significant Other? Do you share passwords, only add people who are mutual friends? How about jealousy, do you ever experience jealousy with the time your significant other spends and people who comment on their profile?

6 comments:

  1. Found you on the LBS tea party. If you don't mind my two cents... Your husband needs to explore his own relationship w/FB. Unless one or two friends really make you uncomfortable let him enjoy it, we all need some of the outlet it provides. As for kids photo's, perhaps you both could decide on a policy you are both comfortable living with given your different relationships online. Some parents do withhold kids photo's from FB. You could maintain albums on Flikr or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great question. I dont have a significant other to worry about but I know a lot of people that have had fb drama problems.
    Some of my friends deal with it by having a joint account and i see that as being something facebook might offer in the future for the reasons your mentioning.
    here from #LBSTeaParty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by via LBS. My hubby and I have some friends that are the same and some that are not the same and that's fine. We both are careful about who we select. I have friends from my hair boards and fashion blogging that I haven't met personally but I have been knowing them for years and they are my friends on FB. Looks like you and your hubby both have to come to an agreement what you both consider acceptable. Having guidelines or an fb policy sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a little easier for me because I'm not married, but I've learned not to FB my Guy until we're at least a year in. It's just easier that way.

    I do wrestle with who to Friend. Early on, I didn't want to Friend anyone I didn't know really well. Now, I'm more open. Unless I have a good reason to say "no", I default to "yes". No harm's come to me yet!

    -The Spinsterlicious Life...and fellow Lady Blogger Tea Partier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is so adorable :)Im your newest follower from LBS Tea Party! I'd appeciate a follow back :) - Enjoy your weekend, friend! :)


    My husband doesnt like me on facebook - he is always throwing a fit, so I only am friends with people i know personally and then have a fan page for my blog - My sweet hubby isnt on facebook himself so he doesnt understand the importance of it :) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I found you from the Ultimate Blog Party 2012. Facebook...hmmm it's interesting. Old boyfriends, Hubby's old girlfriends, wanna-be bf/gfs, lurkers, jerkers, I just role with it. When someone steps out of line, I quickly put them back in line and keep it moving. I friended a co-worker of my husband's because she was on FB calling him a cutesy name. I told her, "I figured I should friend you because anyone who calls my husband intimate names should be a friend of mine." She never conducted herself in a weird manner again (at his job or on FB). LOLOLOL. It has it's good sides and bad sides.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...