Friday, March 22, 2013

3 Stages of Every Awesome Idea, MY Resolution

I have had such a great time at Blissdom this year, and I still have one day left of the conference. While the other attendees head on out for their Girls Night Out, I decided to relax in the hotel room and update my blog on something I've learned so far. In between mingling and meeting a ton of great people at the Dr. Smiths Booth, I've been able to attend some great workshops. Scott Straten of @unmarketing killed it at the Keynote, but I wanted to talk about little about what I learned from Jon Acuff. What I really liked about his workshop on The 3 Stages of Every Awesome Idea, was the fact that creativity is a huge process when it comes to writing. We received a worksheet to answer some questions in our free time, but I thought I'd answer them here on my blog. This was not only hold me accountable in public  but I'd hope I can offer some inspiration to other bloggers who are looking for some more ways to involve creativity into their time.



1. What are the three actions associated with creativity do you have the most trouble with?
(1. Imagine 2. Capture 3. Execute)
I think I have the most trouble with capturing. I always have a lot of ideas running through my head. Whether they are business ideas or ideas for blog posts, I always forget to write them down or store them so I can access them later.

2. What are the distractions in your life you need to make war with?
There are plenty of distractions that need to be dealt with in my life, but my biggest one would have to be the television. While I've worked on recording my favorite shows and focusing more on what I need to do, I still am addicted to watching reality television :-/

3. Name three repeatable tasks and what energy level each requires for you to really execute.
Checking email = low energy
Writing blog posts = high energy
Doing research = medium energy

4. What do you currently use for your capture system?
Before, I used nothing. Sometimes scraps of papers or sending an email to myself to remind me. The past couple days though I have been using Evernote. I can keep a notebook on my Evernote account strictly for Creative Ideas to capture these moments.

5. Have you ever self-edited, deeming an idea bad before it even made it from your head onto paper or a laptop?
I frequently do this, with everything from blog posts, blog ideas, or business ideas. I think taking the time to see it visually, either on the computer screen or on a piece of paper, may help make my ideas more real and better suited to be edited.

6. What is the biggest takeaway you will take from the discussion today?
The biggest takeaway I have was that when approaching family and friends about my goals or a dream I have, to give them the grace to not understand my dreams. They don't have to love my dreams, otherwise, they would be their dreams. I have the bad habit of when someone turns down my idea or calls it silly, to agree with them and turn it down too. What I need to do is not take offense when someone turns down an idea that I love. They don't have to love it, but what I need to do is show them that it can work and I can make it happen successfully.

7. Do you currently have any quiet thinking time in your week right now?
Now I do. I've created a "lenient" blogging schedule, and set time to just be quiet, read, do research, and be creative, for whatever hits me in that moment.

What are your biggest obstacles when it comes to creativity and blogging?

4 comments:

  1. I really wanted to attend Blissdom this year but things didn't quite work out. I love Jon Acuff! Thanks for bringing a little bit of Blissdom to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I have to admit, I had never heard of him before this, but glad I know now!

      Delete
  2. I love your blog!! You have a beautiful family !! *Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...