Monday, April 22, 2013

Easy DIY Laundry Soap For The Busy Family


My husband has a moving business, and while he enjoys being his own boss, he also loves to actually go out and work. It is the strangest thing for me. This means pairs of sweaty shirts and shorts by the hour. I also have 3 children who run a muck in the house. With their everyday clothing, the two older children also do soccer, baseball, and ballet. My youngest changes her clothes literally, every 30 minutes, from tutu's to pants, to back to pajamas. One little spill ruins her entire outfit. She turns 3 next month.

So long story short, we go through laundry detergent like it is no one's business! At least a couple of loads a day. Plus our stuff needs to be strong enough for the dirtiest of clothes, but gentle enough for the softest of skins. Most importantly, easy enough on our poor wallets.

After doing plenty of skimming on Pinterest, I came across a Laundry Detergent Recipe from LizMarieBlog.com. Her blog is amazing and briefly inspired me to re-do furniture. That was until I found out I was no good at it!

I took her laundry recipe, but just made a couple of tweaks to it, adding more oxi clean and using a natural essential oil soap.

Supplies


Mix all the ingredients together (I just put them all in a trash bag)
Grate the soap boars so they look like little twisty twirls
(You can use whatever soap bars you want, I chose these because it's a scent my family loves and the citrus scents seem to go well with fighting odors)
Mix in the grated soap with the powder mixture

Throw it all into your favorite dollar store containers and there you go! Enough laundry detergent to last you for more than half the year for the price of one box of laundry soap!

I made about 3 of these container full. I put about 3 tablespoons of detergent for each load, and it has been great! It's fought against moving stains and even a bed wetter. 

All of these ingredients, I believe cost me just around $20. 
I would have taken pictures, but I was in a hurry to throw in a load, I just did it very quickly to have clean clothes to wear for soccer practice :)

I'm very interested to see how long this will last us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...